Infidels.org claims Leviticus 11:6 contradicts reality, and that "Rabbits do not chew their cud". Jim Meritt provides the following explanation as seen on Infidels.org:
|“||Leviticus 11:6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
"Gerah," the term which appears in the MT means (chewed) cud, and also perhaps grain, or berry (also a 20th of a sheckel, but I think that we can agree that that is irrelevant here). It does *not* mean dung, and there is a perfectly adequate Hebrew word for that, which could have been used. Furthermore, the phrase translated "chew the cud" in the KJV is more exactly "bring up the cud." Rabbits do not bring up anything; they let it go all the way through, then eat it again. The description given in Leviticus is inaccurate, and that's that. Rabbits do eat their own dung; they do not bring anything up and chew on it.
For a good refutation of this, see the relevant AnswersInGenesis article. As AIG's Tommy Mitchell points out there, rabbits do re-ingest their own excretion, which for all purposes is the same as chewing the cud - the Bible writers would of course not have to use a modern definition of "chewing the cud" to be defined thousands of years later. For all intents and purposes, this was a very valid description of the hare thousands of years ago.
For other refutations of this alleged contradiction, see articles at Creation Today, Creation.com, and Tektonics.org.
- ↑ Meritt, Jim (1992). A list of Biblical contradictions. Retrieved from http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html.
- ↑ Mitchell, Tommy (2012, February 14). Contradictions: Do Rabbits Really 'Chew the Cud'? Retrieved from http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2012/02/14/contradictions-do-rabbits-chew-the-cud.
- ↑ Taylor, Paul. Do Rabbits Chew the Cud? Creation Today. Retrieved from http://www.creationtoday.org/do-rabbits-chew-the-cud/.
- ↑ Sarfati, Jonathan. Do rabbits chew their cud? Creation Ministries International. Retrieved from http://creation.com/do-rabbits-chew-their-cud.
- ↑ Holding, J.P. Is the Bible Wrong About Hares Chewing Cud? Tekton Education and Apologetics Ministry. Retrieved from http://www.tektonics.org/af/cudchewers.html.